The ms Amsterdam is the third ship to bear the name of the Dutch capital in Holland America Line”s more than 130-year history. Built at the Fincantieri shipyard in Marghera, Italy, the ms Amsterdam blends the very latest in shipbuilding technology with the artistry, personalized touches and superior service that has made Holland America Line one of the highest-rated cruise lines in the world.
At the heart of the ms Amsterdam is the Planeto Astrolabium, a commissioned signature sculpture soaring in a three-story atrium. The stunning Astrolabe tracks constellations, the planets, world time and ship time. Dutch heritage and tradition is clearly displayed throughout the ship in original Art Deco pieces that once graced the Nieuw Amsterdam of 1938. For a contemporary touch, works of the noted maritime artist Stephen Card adorn public spaces.
Guests on the ms Amsterdam will be able to “show and tell” their vacation memories through the Digital Workshop powered by Windows. Free workshops led by Microsoft-trained “techsperts” will show even the most novice camera or computer user how to take better vacation photos, make movies, edit pictures and create scrapbooks using a variety of Microsoft Windows and Windows Live services. Guests will learn how to share all their digital memories through email, blogging and social networking – so friends and family can see where they”ve been cruising even before they return home.
For a journey of a lifetime, join the ms Amsterdam and circumnavigate the globe on her Grand World Voyage.
On Holland America Line cruises, your every wish is our pleasure to fulfill
Always at the heart of the Holland America cruise experience is our warm and award-winning style of service that is never in the way and never out of reach. We sail with nearly one crew member for every two guests, providing the intuitive, gracious service that has long defined classic cruising. Our extensive onboard services, from special dining requests to full service laundry and dry cleaning services, are designed with your comfort and convenience in mind. Our specially trained crew takes pride in anticipating and fulfilling your every wish. From our waiters and bartenders to our chefs and wine experts, our spa technicians and fitness instructors to our officers and housekeeping staff, everyone is dedicated to providing you with the gracious and personalized service that will make your cruise vacation memorable. On board the ships of Holland America Line you’ll discover a cruise experience that is modern, fresh and appealing – in an ambiance that is timeless and refined.
Each New Day, a Wealth of Cruise Activity and Indulgences
Every day aboard a Holland America cruise ship brings a wealth of cruise activities and indulgences, along with the freedom to partake in as many – or as few – as you please. It’s an opportunity to try something new that surprises you, every day. Dabble, discover, daydream – do everything, or do nothing at all.
Whether you want to workout in the Fitness Center, learn yoga, pamper yourself with a massage and spa treatment, or listen to music and check your email in the Explorations Cafe, there’s a perfect onboard activity for everyone.
In every cruise port, make your cruise vacation even more memorable with our extensive Shore Excursions program of activities. See, explore, discover: arts and cultural activities, athletic expeditions, city tours, shopping and more on our cruises.
Spectacular Shows, Live Music, Diverse Lounges, Movies and Casino Gaming
Evenings on board glitter with choices. Arrive in a lounge to the strains of a lively dance band. Take in a thrilling show on stage. Share a martini flight in Mix; sing along in the Piano Bar. Stay up late into the night.
Dancing with the Stars: At Sea
Whether you like to Tango or Quickstep, or enjoy watching sizzling dance performances, you can experience the excitement of ABC’s hit show Dancing with the Stars: At Sea on board Holland America Line.
Cruise guests can learn the steps, meet the stars, and join the fun. Six feature theme cruises offer an in depth Dancing with the Stars: At Sea experience with dance lessons from the pros, a question-and-answer session, photo opportunities and a dazzling production with the stars and glamorous costuming from the show.
In addition to the theme cruises, all 15 ships in the Holland America Line fleet will feature exclusive Dancing with the Stars: At Sea dance lessons developed by the show’s professionals and lead by the onboard dance team. Select guests from these classes will be invited to dance center stage in the show lounge in an exciting dance-off performance.
BB King’s Blues Club
Due to the tremendous popularity of the B.B. King’s Blues Club on ms Eurodam, Holland America Line is pleased to welcome B.B. King’s Blues Club to the ms Westerdam, ms Zuiderdam, ms Noordam, and ms Nieuw Amsterdam. Join these world-class musicians as they create a dynamic energy that will move you to sing and dance along.
Dining & Activities
- Digital Workshop, powered by Windows: Guests will be able to “show and tell” their vacation memories, learning how to share all their digital memories through email, blogging and social networking – so friends and family can see where they’ve been cruising even before they return home. Free workshops taught by Microsoft-trained “techsperts” make it easy and fun, even for novices
- Culinary Arts Center, presented by Food & Wine magazine: our state-of-the-art demonstration kitchen for gourmet presentations, tasting events and intimate cooking classes.
- Greenhouse Spa & Salon: features heavenly beauty and wellness rituals. Enjoy a facial, hot stone massage, steam in a thermal suite and have your hair and nails done for a special evening.
- La Fontaine Dining Room: features impeccable service and an extensive wine list. Five-course menus include continental cuisine, vegetarian and low-carb options.
- Pinnacle Grill: This intimate venue offers an elegant, sophisticated dining experience. Featuring premium Double R Ranch Beef, inspired seafood dishes and many select wines rated “Excellent” by Wine Spectator – as well as distinctive Bvlgari china, Riedel stemware and Frette linens.
- Canaletto Restaurant: Named for a famous 18th-century Venetian artist, Canaletto is your destination onboard for an intimate Italian dinner. The evening begins with the chef’s selection of antipasti with a taste of the delicious fare and personal, polished service to follow.
- Lido Restaurant: offers a relaxed ambiance for all three meals and features a variety of fresh, cooked-to-order specialties.
- Explorations Cafe, powered by The New York Times: a comfortable, coffee house environment where you can browse through an extensive library, surf the Internet and check email or simply read the morning paper.
- Queen’s Show Lounge: features talented vocalists, dancers, illusionists, comedians and variety acts.
- Crow’s Nest: offers sweeping 270 degree views during the day, and a hip, fashionable nightclub each evening.
- Club HAL: our dedicated youth facilities and activities for kids ages 3 to 12; activities are supervised and age appropriate.
- The Loft and The Oasis: designed exclusively for teens (13 – 17) to have fun, socialize and hang out with people their own age.
How better to enhance your onboard experience than to provide incomparable cuisine in a variety of wonderful ways. Bountiful buffets and dress-up dinners, hors d’oeuvres on your verandah or a picnic on the beach are just a few of the dining options awaiting you aboard Holland America’s Amsterdam vacation.
Guests who dine at the intimate, reservations-only Pinnacle Grill enjoy a dining experience themed to reflect the Pacific Northwest. Candlelight and fine decor create a romantic ambiance that sets the stage for fresh Northwest dishes and select wines.
Wine Tasting Room
Whether you’re learning to navigate your way through a wine list or enhancing your already vast knowledge of vintages and labels, visit the Wine Tasting Room for a fun, informative session with the ship’s expert sommelier.
La Fontaine Dining Room
Elegance redefined under a flower-bedecked stained-glass ceiling — the La Fontaine Dining Room offers award-winning dining at breakfast, lunch and dinner. Aromatic soups, seasonal fish and succulent meats, crisp salads and divine desserts grace a fresh, imaginative menu.
Ship”s Registry: The Netherlands
Passengers capacity: 1,755
Crew Members: 615
Gross Tonnage: 62,735 grt
Length: 686 feet
Maximum Speed: 22.5 knots
Dedicated: October 30, 2000, by Mrs. Janet Lanterman