Boasting many of the same popular design elements of our Viking Longships, our new Elbe ships – scheduled to set sail in 2015 – feature state-of-the art engineering, deluxe accommodations and streamlined Scandinavian interiors. Plus, the ships feature customized hulls and engines specially built to navigate this historic river.
Astrild – Goddess of Love
Classical mythology has its cupid. In Nordic culture, it’s Astrild who sets hearts afire. The delicate lilt of her name first caressed the ears of literature lovers in the 17th century, when Swedish poet Georg Stiernhielm introduced her to northern Europe in his writing. She remains a fabled figure who spreads love, passion and affection.
To get a sense of the beauty and love which Astrild inspires, one need only look to the estrildid finch. It’s fitting that this tiny bird from which Stiernhielm got Astrild’s name remains devoted to the same partner for life.
Viking Alstrid Features
- All staterooms are outside with river view
- Veranda Suites are 250 square feet, have separate sleeping & sitting quarters, a full veranda & French balcony & 2 flat-panel TVs
- All staterooms & suites have hotel-style beds with optional twin-bed configuration
- All Upper deck staterooms have a full veranda or French balcony
- Private bathroom with shower; premium bath products; bathrobe & slippers upon request
- 42″ flat-panel Sony TV with infotainment system featuring movies on demand plus CNBC, CNN, National Geographic & more
- Telephone, safe, refrigerator, hair dryer & individual climate control
- Observation lounge & bar with floor-to-ceiling glass doors that lead to an open air Aquavit Terrace
- Restaurant with windows for panoramic views
- Sun deck with shaded sitting area & organic herb garden
- Library corner & onboard boutique
- Free wireless Internet
- Laundry service
- Bottled water replenished daily
- Voltage: 220V & 110V in stateroom (U.S. outlet)
Hands-on demonstrations, cooking classes, traditional dance performances, and local tastings. These in-depth experiences are included as an essential part of discovering more about the places through which you cruise, and each activity is planned specifically to illuminate each itinerary.
Sometimes you want to dig a little deeper. We offer a series of onboard multimedia talks to shed light on the history and culture of the places you visit. Topics may include the Dutch Masters or French impressionists, castles along the Rhine Valley, the formation of the European Union, the life and works of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, the wine and cuisine of southern France, and key words and phrases in the local language wherever you are traveling. These presentations provide a context for your own observations, enhancing your travel experience.
We have high standards for the English-speaking crews on board our ships. We personally recruit all of our staff members, from your stateroom steward and waiters, to hotel managers and Program Directors. Proprietary training programs are implemented by our Swiss management team to ensure we always provide the level of service you would find in a fine hotel. The Viking team brings you a level of expertise other companies cannot match.
An onboard daily newsletter, Viking Daily, featuring information about daily activities, shore excursions and tour departure times is delivered to your stateroom every evening.
For breakfast, choose from our selections of pastries, cereals, breakfast meats, egg dishes, fresh fruit and selected cheeses. At lunch, select from the soup and sandwich bar, or a choice of entrees and dessert. And for dinner, you are treated to a five-course menu with regional specialties. You may also select from our regional wines to perfectly complement your meal. And wherever you sail, you will find enhancements reflecting your itinerary-it is all part of experiencing the local culture.
Currently the information on these cruises are not available online. Please contact us for more information on this ship.