View all Viking Kara cruises by clicking the ‘Cruises’ tab above, view our handpicked selection of Viking river cruise deals, or view more options for Viking River Cruises. Need help? Call our river cruise experts on 13 13 03 or contact us.
Kara – Valkyrie and Swan Maiden
In Norse mythology Kara is one of the Valkyries who are also known as swan maidens or wish maidens. Legend says that if you can capture and hold a swan maiden or her feathered cloak, you can extract a wish from her.
Designed by legendary naval architects Yran & Storbraaten, the team behind The Yachts of Seabourn, these new vessels offer state-of-the-art engineering, patented design and luxury. The Viking Longships provide guests with more ways to personalize their trip. Choose from a variety of stateroom classes, onboard entertainment options and ship locations from which you can enjoy sailing through the scenery, all the while enriching your time in some of Europe’s most remarkable destinations.
Two Explorer Suites feature spectacular 270 degree views with a private wraparound veranda. Veranda Suites feature two full rooms with a veranda off the living room and a French balcony in the bedroom. Enjoy the indoor-outdoor Aquavit Terrace at the bow of the ship, or relax on the Sun Deck. These “green” ships, featuring energy-efficient hybrid engines, solar panels and an organic herb garden, were named to honor prominent members of the Norse pantheon. Each ship carries 190 guests in comfortable, understated elegance, with hotel-style beds and amenities like 40″ flat-panel Sony TVs and in-room refrigerators.
Viking Kara Features
- 95 comfortable outside staterooms (2 Explorer Suites, 7 Veranda Suites, 39 Veranda Staterooms, 22 French Balcony Staterooms, 25 Standard Staterooms)
- All suites feature two rooms with a veranda off the living room and a French balcony in the bedroom
- Sun deck with 360-degree views and shaded sitting area; organic herb garden and solar panels; putting green, and walking track
- Aquavit Terrace with a revolutionary indoor/outdoor viewing area at the bow of the ship and grills for al fresco dining
- Observation lounge and bar with floor-to-ceiling glass doors
- Restaurant with floor-to-ceiling windows for panoramic views
- Onboard boutique
- Library corner and onboard boutique
- Free shipwide wireless internet service
- Laundry service
- Ecologically friendly hybrid engines producing less vibrations for a smoother ride
- 40″ flat-panel Sony TV with infotainment system featuring movies on demand plus CNBC, CNN, FOX, National Geographic and more
Services aboard Viking Kara
While you are aboard a Viking ship, you enjoy myriad services, from shipwide wi-fi service to laundry to complimentary bottled water.
An onboard daily newsletter, Viking Daily, featuring information about daily activities, shore excursions and tour departure times is delivered to your stateroom every evening.
Hands-on demonstrations, cooking classes, traditional dance performances, and local tastings. These in-depth experiences are included as an essential part of discovering more about the places through which you cruise, and each activity is planned specifically to illuminate each itinerary.
Sometimes you want to dig a little deeper. We offer a series of onboard multimedia talks to shed light on the history and culture of the places you visit. Topics may include the Dutch Masters or French impressionists, castles along the Rhine Valley, the formation of the European Union, the life and works of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, the wine and cuisine of southern France, and key words and phrases in the local language wherever you are traveling. These presentations provide a context for your own observations, enhancing your travel experience.
For breakfast, choose from our selections of pastries, cereals, breakfast meats, egg dishes, fresh fruit and selected cheeses. At lunch, select from the soup and sandwich bar, or a choice of entrees and dessert. And for dinner, you are treated to a five-course menu with regional specialties. You may also select from our regional wines to perfectly complement your meal. And wherever you sail, you will find enhancements reflecting your itinerary it is all part of experiencing the local culture.
- Year Built: 2012/2013/2014
- Length: 443 ft.
- Crew: 50
- Guests: 190
- Decks: 4
- Staterooms: 95
- Explorer Suites: 2
- Veranda Suite: 7
- Veranda: 39
- French Balcony: 22
- Standard: 25